Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Worried About The Babies

I am receiving alerts that Part C (the infant and toddler program) is in jeopardy.

Twenty three years ago, I found myself calling every provider in the phone book trying to find SOMEONE who could provide early intervention services to my son.  Back then, there was no Early Steps program…there were very few services available to the babies who had disabilities.

I suppose I became that “squeaky wheel” that we’ve all heard of.  However, after months and months of calling providers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday – and after, literally, bumping into an Occupational Therapist at the supermarket (I crashed into her legs with my cart!) who was new to the area and wanting to work with babies (I hooked her up with my phone tree)…MAGIC!!

Kris was the first infant ever to receive early intervention services at the local hospital.  They even decorated a room just for him (and the little ones who followed).

The services were not in the “natural environment”, but the people who provided those services soon came to really care about Kris, and they celebrated every milestone with our family.

I often think of those providers and hold a warm place in my heart for each of them!

It truly makes my heart hurt when I think that there is a possibility that another family will one  day be as lost and scared as mine was…trying to do what’s best for their baby. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a "Save Early Steps" page on Facebook where people can post stories to share how their children were helped by Early Intervention.

http://www.facebook.com/SaveEarlySteps

Great post, Ghee!

Blogger said...

It's become harder and harder for babies to qualify for this wonderful program and to think that these kids will miss out on the help in those important years of life...they will just pass along the cost to Part B...

Pop Quiz - Did you know that States can choose whether they want to participate in Part C? Like why should this even be a option? grrrrr